cctimeline_logo twitter logo Facebook Logo
 

1905
Dr. Arthur E. Spohn and the Building of Spohn Sanitarium

When renowned surgeon Dr. Arthur E. Spohn arrived in Corpus Christi in 1875, there was no hospital of any kind. Along with his wife, Sarah Kenedy, Robert and Alice King Kleberg, John Kenedy and George Kenedy, Dr. Spohn began the fund-raising effort to build a hospital. Spohn Sanitarium was built on North Beach and named in his honor in 1905. When the hospital was destroyed in the 1919 hurricane, Henrietta King donated land and the new, expanded facility opened at its present location in 1922. The Sisters of the Charity of the Incarnate Word continue to operate it to this day.

Enter Timeline Button
Dr. Arthur E. Spohn
PRESENTING SPONSOR Citgo Logo Copyright © 2010 Corpus Christi Leadership Class LCCXXXVIII info@cctimeline.com Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce LogoLeadership Corpus Christi Logo